(serves 2 – 12-ounce smoothies)
- ¼ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 2 ripe and speckled bananas, peeled, sliced, and frozen
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen blackberries (about 5 to 6 blackberries)*
- 2 tablespoons fresh peeled and finely-diced beet*
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rolled oats and boiling water and let stand for 10 minutes to soften the oats. Strain and rinse.
- Add the soaked oats, frozen bananas, almond milk, blackberries, grated beet, almond butter, and vanilla (if using) to a high-speed blender. Blend on high for 1 to 2 minutes or until completely smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Note: Feel free to up the amount of beets and blackberries to increase the nutritional charge of this smoothie. It will take on a deeper hue but will be equally, if not more, delicious.