For the Soup
- 1 Tbsp. grass fed ghee
- 1/2 medium purple onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 medium head broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 c. fresh spinach, rinsed well
- 2 pinches Celtic sea salt
- 1 Meyer lemon
For the purée
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 1/3 c. extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- Celtic sea salt
- Start with the soup
- In a medium pot melt the ghee over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for a few minutes. Next toss in the broccoli and stir with a wooden spoon for a few minutes until the green color is really bright.
- Pour in the water and turn up the heat to high. When the liquid comes to a boil lower the heat back down to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the spinach for a minutes so it cooks just a little bit.
- While the soup is cooking make the purée.
- Blanch the basil leaves for 10 seconds in a medium pot of boiling water. Drain and add to a small food processor. Add the garlic and olive oil. Process until you have a thick purée. Season to taste with salt. Spoon into a small glass jar.
- Next come back to the soup. Carefully pour the soup into a high speed blender, add the salt and process until smooth. Adjust flavors. Pour evenly into two bowls. Add a tablespoon of basil purée on top of each serving and squeeze fresh lemon juice.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Note: This soup and basil will keep in the fridge for two days.